Thursday, November 12, 2009

Traveling on the bus

I just remembered this conversation I had with this Bulgarian guy on the bus. Of course, he did not expect me to speak Bulgarian so he kept attempting to translate with his broken English things the announcing lady was saying. It was actually really sweet of him. Once he figured out that I could understand Bulgarian we started a great friendship that lasted throughout my bus ride.

One of the interesting things he asked me was if I liked Bulgaria. My response to this question is typically "yes" even though I do not think Bulgarian is the best place to live for a person from a developed country. I answer "yes" because I do not want to get into the discussion of what I think is wrong with Bulgaria. As a guest in Bulgaria I do not think it is right to complain to Bulgarians about the things that are wrong with their country. I hate when people do it to me as an American so I do not want to do the same to others. However, when the guy made the state "Bulgaria is just like America" I had to disagree with him in a non argumentative way... which is not very typical of me. I simply said "There are many differences between America and Bulgaria. Have you travelled to Germany or Holland? America is as developed as Germany and Holland". I left the conversation at that and we enjoyed to rest of the 16 hour bus right to Vienna.

Drinking Viennese Coffee,


Crystal

Pictures are coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi crystal,

I loved reading your blog. I'd like to talk to you about your experience being a black female in Bulgaria. I've been nominated to EE leaving September and I'm super excited but nervous. My email is phebe545@hotmail.com

Thanks